Frequently Asked Questions

<--// LEAVE BLANK //-->


The BAAS degree is the fastest, least expensive, and most convenient way to finish your bachelor’s degree if you are a transfer student, non-traditional student, or are currently serving in the military or are a veteran. Learn more about the BAAS here.

The primary difference between the BAAS degree and other degree types (BA, BS, BSW, BBA, etc.) is that the BAAS accepts workforce and military credits which saves you time and money; however, it is a fully accredited bachelor’s degree — just like other undergraduate degrees. Because it is a bachelor’s degree, having the BAAS will help you advance in your career or prepare you for graduate school.

Yes, many students in the BAAS program work full-time or part-time while attending UNT. However, remember the need to balance school with work and your personal life when determining how many courses to take each semester. Refer to the Degree Plan page for more information.

You will receive an official degree plan when you meet with your academic advisor. However, an interactive degree audit is also available at MyUNT. To access the degree audit program, log-in to your MyUNT account with your EUID and password. On the My Page tab, select “Student Center/Register,” and then “My Academics” (under Academics at the top.) Click on “Run Audit.” An interactive audit page will appear in a separate window.

You can begin taking classes once you've been admitted to UNT and have completed orientation. Classes are offered during the fall and spring semesters and during the summer. The fall semester begins in late August and ends in mid-December. The spring semester begins in mid-January and ends in early May. Summer classes are available in 3-week, 5-week, 8-week, and 10-week formats—depending on the course.

The time it takes to complete a BAAS degree depends on how many hours you need to satisfy the degree requirements, the number of hours you take each semester, and your academic performance. Typically, students take between 9 and 12 hours each semester and complete their degree within 1½ to 2 years. Some students take longer, while others finish faster. Remember, you can take courses at UNT and a community college at the same time.

You are required to take at least 30 hours of coursework from UNT. You are also required to complete 42 hours of upper division coursework. Of those 42 hours, at least 24 hours must be from courses taken at UNT.

Yes, you can take classes at UNT at the same time you are taking classes at a community college except during the semester you plan to graduate. You must file a concurrent enrollment form in order to take classes at both UNT and community college in the same semester. Your UNT advisor has these forms.

Students are required to have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. This average includes grades from all courses — those taken at UNT and other institutions. Students must also have at least a 2.0 grade point average from coursework completed only at UNT.

Yes, you must submit a graduation application the semester that you plan to graduate. The deadline to complete this paperwork is usually within the first two weeks of the semester. Students who do not complete the graduation application by the deadline will not graduate that semester. Detailed information on the graduation application process and deadlines can be found at UNT’s Office of the Registrar. The semester before you are planning to graduate, you should make an appointment with your UNT academic advisor at 940-565-4464 to arrange a graduation check. This ensures that you have successfully completed all the courses required for your BAAS degree.

Some classes are offered during the summer. Depending on the course, summer classes are available in 3-week, 5-week, 8-week and 10-week formats. Consult with your UNT advisor about class availability during the summer. Course listings and schedules can be found at UNT’s Office of the Registrar.

Upper division courses are typically offered at four-year colleges and universities in students’ junior and senior years. You cannot take upper-division courses at a community college. Upper division courses are numbered 3000 and higher at UNT.

The Occupational Specialization consists of courses related to a specific occupation, field, or subject. Many workforce or technical courses taken at a community college or in the military are used to form your Occupational Specialization. In some cases, an Occupational Specialization is created out of courses taken at UNT or other four-year colleges or universities. Your advisor will help you identify courses for your Occupational Specialization that are based on your personal background and academic experience.

The Professional Foundations requirement consists of three courses that must be taken from UNT. They form the heart of the BAAS curriculum and are intended to improve your marketability in today’s workplace. In these courses, students sharpen their ability to communicate, negotiate, analyze information, and network effectively.

No, the Professional Foundations courses are required upper division courses that must be completed at UNT.

You may take core classes at an accredited community college, another accredited college or university, or at UNT. Core courses taken at a community college or another Texas university may be transferred to UNT. Sometimes it is advisable to take an upper division core course (those numbered 3000 or higher) from UNT. Doing so may maximize the number of credits you are able to transfer from a community college. Your UNT advisor will help you decide what makes the most sense for you.

The cost of tuition depends on your residency status. Texas residents pay less in tuition than those who live out-of-state. The current tuition rates at UNT are posted at Student Accounting.

There are a number of types of financial aid and scholarship opportunities for UNT students. Learn more about UNT’s Financial Aid and Scholarships.

After you register for your courses, you can find required textbooks and even order them online at the UNT Bookstore. You can also check with other local bookstores and online retailers. Prices will vary by site and the types of books required.

UNT uses Blackboard Learn, a classroom management system that is accessible to students 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. Online courses are accessed exclusively through Blackboard Learn. Additionally, many instructors who teach traditional face-to-face courses use Blackboard Learn to post grades and assignments. The Blackboard Learn system provides technical assistance and training to new users through learning modules, which can help give you the skills you need to complete your courses. Further assistance with online learning can be found at UNT’s Distance Learning page.

You need to have some experience and ease with a computer. If you are comfortable sending emails, using standard software applications like Microsoft Word, and surfing the Internet, then you should be able to use Blackboard Learn. Learning modules are available to help you use and navigate Blackboard Learn. Further assistance with online learning can be found at UNT’s Distance Learning page.

Courses for the BAAS program are offered at the main campus in Denton and at the Collin Higher Education Center in McKinney.